Osmeña Peak @Dalaguete, Cebu

Osmeña Peak, Mantalongon, Dalaguete, Cebu, Philippines

The Osmeña Peak with an altitude of 1072.6 meters above sea level is the highest mountain on the island of Cebu, Philippines. It is located at the municipality Dalaguete which is the south province of Cebu. It lies in a range of hills in shape to the Chocolate Hills in the island Bohol which reminds us with the  grass - and bush vegetation is covered. It is climbable throughout the year, with the months of December to May, the driest months in the region. The municipality of Dalaguete is located approximately 85 kilometers southwest of Cebu City and is accessible via the southern coastal road.

At around 12am of the 1st of October, 2015, I woke up and packed up my things needed for the adventure. Our destination was the Osmeña Peak at Dalaguete, Cebu. We met at 7 eleven across the South Bus Terminal of Cebu. We bought some food, snacks, water, etc. After that, we went inside the bus terminal and inquired for a trip going to the south. There was Ceres bus going to the town of Dalaguete which would depart at 2am. It was somehow very early but we had to take it so we could catch the sunrise at the highest peak of Cebu. In fact, it was my first time to ride a bus at  the earliest time. Why we decided to go there so early? Because we wanted to see how the sun rises at the highest peak of the Province of Cebu. I felt sleepy. I made sure I had bought my jacket because it's really cold inside the bus and to our destination.
 I bought something for my breakfast at 7 eleven. Then, I ate inside the bus before it departed.
Hotta rice was so hot! I made sure myself that I would have enough energy to climb the said mountain.

Bus fare from Cebu City - Dalaguete
= P 105 as of October 2015
There were two televisions inside the bus but they didn't play some movies. Instead, they let us listen to some lovely music. We asked the conductor of the bus that we were going to Osmeña Peak. It was our first time so we really don't know how to get there. When we were already in the town of Dalaguete, the conductor told us that we had stop somewhere else where we could ride a chartered motorcycle going to Osmeña Peak.
TRAVEL TIME:
  • Cebu City - Dalaguete (via bus) = 2hours (2:00am - 4:00am)
  • Dalaguete Proper - Mantalongon (via habal2x) = 35 - 45 minutes

courtesy: google map
We arrived at the registration area at around 4:35am. We each registered our names for record purposes.
One must wear the proper attire like rubber shoes, shorts, a t-shirt and a jacket if you're planning to climb early morning for the weather's cold around 18 degrees..

This was the motorcycle we rode from the town proper going here. It was quite big enough to accommodate three passengers. We asked the driver to wait us until the morning so we could ride them again going back. 

FARE
P200 round trip for each individual.

Since we don't know how to go up to the rocky mountains, we hired a tour guide. The fee depends on how would you give to him/her. 
While we climbed up going to the highest peak, we came across this signage. It was stated here that we should be careful while walking or else we might step on the vegetables which were planted alongside.
It was still dark and a little bit foggy along our way. The good thing was we had our flashlights with us that lighted our way.
I could barely see the surrounding so I carefully walked in their narrow path. There was a part which was muddy and there was also rocky area. Our tour guide informed us to be cautious while climbing up because it was still dark and some areas were slippery. The trekking took about 20-30 minutes before we finally reached the camping area.
We arrived at the camping area safely. Since it was still foggy and we see nothing, we put our tent together with the other campers who stayed  there the whole night. We waited for the beautiful sunrise to come. I thought myself how it looked like to see the sun rising from the highest peak of Cebu. Well, I gotta find it myself.

What a foggy morning!

fog = a ​mass of ​cloud consisting of ​small ​drops of ​water near the ​surface of the ​earth.
It was my first time to go camping. While waiting for the sunrise, it was still around 5:37am.

At first  we thought that it was just the moon, we then realized it's the sunrise already. We couldn't see it clearly because of the fog.


















We waited for this moment so I took some pictures.











Isn't it lovely? Isn't it amazing? Isn't it fabulous?

Comment below your reaction.
 I checked the surrounding but still it was foggy. Everything was still covered with a mass of clouds with very small drops of water.

 The sun had risen and the fog was slowly disappearing.

We could now see some hills. Everything could be seen soon. The sky was becoming blue and it would be a great day for us.

The highest peak of the whole Cebu province was on top of that hill.

Some hills could be seen already.

The fog that covered the area seemed like a curtain which would reveal something beautiful.
It was getting brighter already, the cold that we felt was decreasing. We could feel the increasing temperature.
Nature is always beautiful. We must appreciate it because it was given to us by our creator.

The sky was getting bluer and bluer. What a beautiful day!

Before we started to climb that hill, we did some preparations. We made sure everything was going smoothly accordingly to what we'd planned. We kept some of our things inside our tent. We brought with us our valuable things such as our gadgets, money, etc.

We started climbing up at around 7 am. Even though it was sunny, the grass were still wet. Perhaps, the fog that covered the place earlier had caused the moisture to remain on the leaves of the plants.

I felt great and I was thankful for this beautiful day. I never expected to be here. I thought it would just remain like a dream. I said to myself one day I'm gonna visit the places I've always wanted to. So, I should never give up with my dreams, I should chase them all.

Below was the camping site, some campers packed up their things already but we didn't yet because we still had to stay for some hours.

I've been to the Chocolate Hills for many times in Bohol because I grew up there and these hills were similar to them. Only that the shapes of these hills were something different. Some were sharp like a hershey chocolate.
My friends started to climb up and we waited for them in the middle of the hill.
I found it fascinating in this part so I politely asked my friend to take me this picture. As you can see, there was a man on the top waiting for us. He was a caretaker of the area and a tour guide as well.
As I climbed up the hill, I saw this awesome view.
Before reaching the summit,  I stopped at this area. This scene caught my eyes. So glamorous!

I got extremely interested in these hills which were of different shapes. I wondered why it shaped like that.

Have you ever imagined how God created  all these natural wonders?

Hills of different shapes.

There was this part of the hill were it was rocky and which we could climb to pose for a wonderful shot.
It was a little bit slippery so I was careful enough as I slowly climbed the rock.
(WARNING: Be careful when climbing these rocks to avoid any untoward incidents.)
Here I am.
I would like to thank my friend for this very nice picture.

Her name's Ace. She usually took some pictures of mine. I could say that she has the potential of becoming a photographer someday. (crossed fingers)

It was quite hot so we carried an umbrella with us.
Candid! They're my friends. We planned this adventure for less than a week only. Since all of us agreed on the same thing. We were able to execute our plan and here we are.

"We travel not to escape life, but for life to escape us."
- anonymous
"Travel brings power and love back to your life."
-Rumi
"The world is a book and those who do not travel ready only one page."
-St. Agustine

What a marvelous view!

We went back to our tent to get some rest. It was a clear, bright sunny day. We enjoyed the place very much and took a lot of pictures.

I asked my friend Ace to take me a picture on the very top of that hill so I started to climb and brought with me an umbrella.

I look so tiny!

"Wanderlust: An irresistible desire to travel to understand one's very existence."
-unknown

"Travel while you're young and able. Don't worry about the money, just make it work. Experience is far more valuable than money will every be."
-unknown
"I want to make memories all over the world."
-unknown
Balancing on top of a rock. Still at the highest peak!
"Being on top of the world doesn't mean anything unless you know what it's like to be at the bottom."
-jdbelland





Here's what it look like to climb down the peak going to the registration area. I wasn't able to take some pictures when we went up because nothing could be seen because of the fog.
The path was narrow. It was somehow rocky as well. One must really wear a pair of rubber shoes.

Walking took about 15-20 minutes.
Along our way was some cabbages which were planted alongside. So, one wrong step might destroy them. BE CAREFUL!
These were some cabbages and pechay which were ready to be sold in the market.

From the highway, stop here and take the chartered motorcycle (habal2x) going to Osmeña Peak.

Summary Of  Expenses:
  • 105 (Cebu South Bus Terminal - Dalaguete via bus) 
  • 100 (Dalaguete Town Proper - Mantalongon via motorcycle)
  • 100 (Mantalongon to Dalaguete Highway via motorcycle) Note: You may tell the motorcycle driver to wait you.
  • 105 (Dalaguete - Cebu City) 
TOTAL: P410 (Exclusive of the tour guide fee and the food ).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joel

This blog is about travelling, lifestyle, food, photography, etc. You can email me at crisjo2012na@gmail.com

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was one of my bucketlist since I was in college and my most favorite spot here in Cebu.

      Delete
    2. Congratulation for achieving it. Looking forward for your next post. ♥

      Delete
  2. may I know where did you bought your tents? or if rented where too/ thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cindrelle :) The tent was bought by my friend at the Metro at around 1300-1500 good for 6 people.

      Delete
  3. great article, very helpful. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome gcstyles. :) It's really nice to go there especially early in the morning to witness the sunrise.

      Delete

CLICK HERE (2)